Club Permits

Permit conditions

Ivan Hoey the registrar for N.S.W. permits has highlighted the fact that many new applicants are unaware of the motion passed at the last AGM regarding membership conditions for a permit. Basically if you want a permit then you are required to have membership which extends to beyond the length of the permit so there is no overlap period where your membership might runout before your permit lapses. This was ratified in the last AGM by the following motion:-

Motion: That for conditional registration with the Club, members will be required to have one year in advance membership and photograph of bike each year.

Moved: John Chambers

Seconded: Geoff Bamford


It also stipulates a photograph of the bike be submitted with every renewal application so we can make sure no illegal modifications are done while the bike wears club permit plates. All renewals must have 12 months or more of membership paid in advance or your application will be refused. This will also apply if photographic evidence is not supplied to the registrar of your state.

Changes to the club permit scheme from January 31st 2015.

These changes only apply to Victoria but are significant for other states that may follow suit.

You can read all about it here

Each state has its own set of rules regarding club permits but the common aim is to allow old bikes to be brought back to life and ridden. Fundamental to this aim is the interpretation of the regulations. 

An example of a beautifully restored 1976 XS650C.

This page is being put on our website to try and give the members a clearer view of just what is acceptable for a permit and what is not and also why. Here we will try to advise you just what to expect if you present a bike that has extensive modifications or is fundamentally different from what Yamaha had in mind when they made your XS650.

As we read the legislation there is clearly an intent to allow restored bikes to be allowed a permit but just as clearly, the legislation does not favour heavily modified bikes. In discussions had with the powers that be we were told in no uncertain terms that permits given to unsuitable bikes would not be tolerated and if found out would have their permits revoked. This could also lead to the club losing its facility to dispense permits.

Anyone who has read the legislation will have there own interpretation but our reps have been in consultation with their state governing bodies and have a clearer idea of just what these governing bodies require and what is therefore acceptable.

For example in Victoria any bike with a modified frame would automatically require and engineer's report stating the frame was ok for use and that the modifications did not make the bike unsafe. You can deduce from this statement that a bike with a hard tail, mono-shock conversion, single sided swing arm conversion or altered head angle presented for a permit would be rejected and you would be correct. There is however another avenue that can be used to obtain a permit.

Modified Vehicle permits can also be applied to bikes and by joining a club affiliated with Australian Street Rod Federation you can apply for a permit for your modified bike through them.

In the case of a bobber in many cases the original frame is untouched and components are replaced with modern parts, then these would be ok as the legislation allows for some substitution of parts no longer available from the original manufacturer. In the case of a bobber that has some newer parts and components, if it passes a roadworthy certificate then we would be inclined to pass it for a permit provided it is still recognizable as a XS650.

Also the club has a rule that a road worthy certificate must be provided before a club permit can be issued, this is to protect the club from any possible legal proceedings if after an accident if the bike is deemed unsafe, onus does not fall on the club as we did not attest to its road worthiness. We accept that the roadworthy tester is the higher authority and issue the permit on his assessment of the bikes roadworthiness. We also insist on photographic evidence of the bikes condition as presented at the time the permit is issued and all subsequent years at renewal time so there can be no question of the bike being modified after the permit is issued. The bikes must be presented to the club appointed person in their state for the issue of the first permit and photographic evidence for subsequent annual renewals.



Modernized but still recognizable as an XS650 with a minimum of frame brackets removed and overall the frame integrity is preserved, this is acceptable for a club permit.


The provisions for Concessional (or Club) registration varies between the States.  The restrictions that apply to a concessional registration in Qld are described in a “Special Interest Vehicle Scheme Guide” which can be downloaded from the Queensland Transport Website.

The following is a précis of what is required to apply for Concessional Registration in Queensland:

    1./ The vehicle must be 30 years or older.

     2./The applicant must be a member of an associated club – ie XS650 Club, VJMC, HMCC etc.

     3./    A Club letterhead letter confirming that the applicant is a member of the club and inclusion that the motorcycle VIN number confirms the age of the bike.

     4./       A completed Concessional Registration Application Form F3937 available from Queensland Transport.

If you are making a new registration application at a Queensland Transport Office then you will also require:

     1.       Completed Vehicle Registration Application Form F3518

     2.       A Certificate of Insurance from a CTP insurer (RACQ, Suncorp, AAMI etc) for CTP insurance on the motorcycle. The insurer will post date the commencement of the insurance so you can pay in advance and have it commence from the day you collect your plates.

     3.       A Safety Certificate (Roadworthy certificate) available from a registered workshop.

     4.       Proof of ownership. It helps if you have a copy of a previous registration even if that has lapsed. If that does not exist OR if the bike has been built up from ‘bits’ then the bike MAY have to be presented to a Queensland Transport Inspection Office.

The standard Concessional Registration Plate for motorcycles in Queensland is a White on Black design with an Alpha Numeral (S) followed by a 4 digit number. You also have the option to purchase a personalised number plate as per a fully registered motorcycle. Note that your annual registration sticker defines your vehicle as having a Concessional Registration regardless of what plate is affixed.

If you have any questions regarding your legal obligation to qualify for consessional registration (club permit) in Queensland talk to Tony Gray  tonygray.jane@hotmail.com 

Be aware that under the "club rules", a photocopy of your roadworthy certificate and a picture of your bike as presented for a club permit will have to be submitted to the club for our records.
You will also be required to inform the club of your plate number and the date of issue.

Draft only and Still under construction and not finalized